Bajan Macaroni Pie Recipe
In Barbados, November is the month when we love to celebrate our culture, and that definitely includes food. Bajan macaroni pie is not your ordinary mac and cheese! This delicious dish is a staple to a Bajan luncheon and there are many different ways to prepare the meal. Below we've highlighted the most flavorful version of the recipe. This dish is perfect for making in your room here at Worthing Court Hotel ! We can also buy all your ingredients before you arrive! Just fill out this Grocery Shopping Form and we will have your groceries delivered to your room upon arrival !
8 oz macaroni (the best option is usually the long tube type)
One tablespoon butter or margarine
1 1/2 cup New Zealand anchor cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup of milk
I medium size onion chopped finely
1 teaspoon hot English mustard
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 cap full of Bajan pepper sauce
1 sweet pepper mixed
finely grated Parmesan and cheddar cheese
- Bring water to the boil and add the broken up macaroni o salt. Cook it uncovered until it is just tender (about 8 minutes).
- Preheat a moderately hot oven 350F, 180C.
- Drain the macaroni thoroughly, leave it in the strainer while you make a roux in the hot saucepan. To do this add butter and a sprinkle of flour and mix.
- Now put the macaroni back into the saucepan and mix. Turn on stove to low.
- Add the cheese in gradually and keep mixing.
- Whisk the egg until fluffy and add the milk, onion, white pepper, salt, pepper sauce,ketchup, and mustard.
- Pour in with the macaroni and mix.
- Place in a greased casserole dish. Top the dish with the mix of cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 30-45 minutes depending on the depth of the dish.
Let us know if you try this recipe and how it turns out in the comments below !